Spirituality is a highly personal experience that can mean different things to different people.
For some, it involves a strong belief in God and active participation in organised religion.
For others, it’s a more personal journey that involves non-religious experiences to help them connect with themselves through sharing ideas with others, self reflection, time in nature, yoga, or meditation.
Regardless of what form it is in, spirituality can be a powerful force in people’s lives.
It can provide a sense of purpose and meaning, and help us feel connected to something greater than ourselves.
It can also be a source of comfort and strength during difficult times, providing us with a sense of peace and calm in the face of stress and uncertainty.
Benefits of Spirituality
Research has found that religious involvement is correlated with better physical and mental health, including better sleep, lower blood pressure, and an overall lower rate of mortality.
Higher levels of spirituality have also been linked to increased compassion, strengthened relationships, and improved self-esteem.
Religion versus Spirituality
This explanation (source unknown) explains it so well I think.
A learned man was once asked to explain the difference between Religion and Spirituality. His response was profound:
▪ Religion is not just one, there are many.
▪ Spirituality is one.
▪ Religion is for those who sleep.
▪ Spirituality is for those who are awake.
▪ Religion is for those who need someone to tell them what to do and want to be guided.
▪ Spirituality is for those who pay attention to their inner voice.
▪ Religion has a set of dogmatic rules.
▪ Spirituality invites us to reason about everything, to question everything.
▪ Religion threatens and frightens.
▪ Spirituality gives inner peace.
▪ Religion speaks of sin and guilt.
▪ Spirituality says, “learn from an error”.
▪ Religion represses everything which is false.
▪ Spirituality transcends everything, it brings you closer to your truth!
▪ Religion speaks of a God; It is not God.
▪ Spirituality is everything and therefore, it is in God.
▪ Religion invents.
▪ Religion does not tolerate any question.
▪Spirituality questions everything.
▪ Religion is human. It is an organization with rules made by men.
▪ Spirituality is Divine, without human rules.
▪ Religion is the cause of divisions.
▪ Religion is looking for you to believe.
▪ Spirituality you have to look for it to believe.
▪ Religion follows the concepts of a sacred book.
▪ Spirituality seeks the sacred in all books.
▪ Religion feeds on fear.
▪ Spirituality feeds on trust and faith.
▪ Religion lives in thought.
▪ Spirituality lives in Inner Consciousness.
▪ Religion deals with performing rituals.
▪ Spirituality has to do with the Inner Self.
▪ Religion feeds the ego.
▪ Spirituality drives to transcend beyond.
▪ Religion makes us renounce the world to follow a God.
▪ Spirituality makes us live in God, without renouncing our existing lives.
▪ Religion is a cult.
▪ Spirituality is inner meditation.
▪ Religion fills us with dreams of glory in paradise.
▪ Spirituality makes us live the glory and paradise on earth.
▪ Religion lives in the past and in the future.
▪ Spirituality lives in the present.
▪ Religion creates cloisters in our memory.
▪ Spirituality liberates our Consciousness.
▪ Religion makes us believe in eternal life.
▪ Spirituality makes us aware of Eternal Life.
▪ Religion promises life after death.
▪ Spirituality is to find God in our interior during the current life before death. -We are not human beings, who go through a spiritual experience.
-We are spiritual beings, who go through a human experience.